In 1999 I qualified as a Pharmaceutical Technician and started working in Tallaght Hospital as a basic grade. I subsequently completed a Diploma in Health Services Management in 2001. Due to my studious nature I then undertook an MBA (Masters in Business Administration) in Health Management, which I completed in March 2004. I became a Senior Technician at the end of 2003, and took up the position of Assistant to The Pharmacy Operations Manager in September 2004.
I have responsibility for many of the following daily/weekly procedures:
- Drafting the Dispensary Cover Roster
- Approving leave in line with the Pharmacy Department’s Leave Policy
- Ensuring that training data is captured and that Lecture & Training Forms are completed by Dispensary staff and submitted to the Leader of Education & Research in a timely manner
- Ensuring that all Pharmacy staff receives appropriate Fire and Minimal Lifting training and that they comply with these procedures.
- Completion of the Weekly Fire Checklist and acting as a Fire Marshall in the event of a fire.
- Using Cliniscript for user, cost-centre and consultant set-up, merging duplicate patient records having run appropriate checks, preparing staff accounts (invoicing and processing payment) and assisting in the testing of new software.
- Deputising for the Senior Purchasing Technician and the Pharmacy Operations managers when they are on leave.
- Liasing with Hygiene & Linen Services staff to ensure that waste pharmaceuticals and other pharmacy waste are disposed of in accordance with the agreed service level
- Ensuring that the cleaning service provided to Pharmacy meets the contracted specification
- Ensuring that items ordered for the Dispensary from the Purchasing & Materials Management Department are received in a timely manner
- Liasing with the Technical Services Department to ensure that the Pharmacy furniture, fitting and equipment, are adequately maintained, and repairs are requested and completed in a timely manner
- Leading the Departmental and Dispensary Induction Training for all staff in liaison with the Dispensary and Pharmacy Management Teams
As The Assistant to the Pharmacy Operations Manager I report directly to the Pharmacy Operations Manager.
I am dispensary based with a ten-hour commitment to dispensing each week. I assist the Pharmacy Operations Manager in the management of the Dispensary services division and actively participate in the Dispensary Management Team to ensure that the Dispensary is run in line with best practice, implementing the Pharmacy and the organisation’s strategy.
Adelaide & Meath Hospital, Dublin. Incorporating the National Childrens Hospital,Tallaght.